Texas & Pacific (T&P)
Texas & Pacific System
would once again have ties to the MoPac in 1928 when the MoP gained
control. T&P would retain it's identity for many years yet until
finally being owned outright by MoPac on 10/15/76. MoPac had owned
more that 50% of the T&P at least since 1956.
company was granted a federal land grant of twenty sections of land
per mile through California and forty sections through what is now
Arizona and New Mexico and a state land grant of twenty sections in
Texas. The Texas Legislature recognized the federal charter in 1871
and authorized the Texas Pacific to purchase the Southern Trans-Continental
Railway Company and the Southern Pacific Railroad Company, both previously
chartered by the state. (This Southern Pacific was not related to
the later Southern Pacific system that originated out of California).
This sixty-six mile railroad was acquired by the Texas and Pacific
on March 21, 1872, and was the only predecessor of the company in
Texas to have built and operated a railroad. The aquisitions of the
Southern Trans-Continental on March 30, 1872, and the Memphis, El
Paso and Pacific Railroad Company, acquired June 12, 1873, were roads
to only reach the construction phase.
Marshall O. Roberts was the first president of the T&P, succeeded by Thomas A. Scott of Philadelphia in early 1872. Grenville M. Dodge was appointed chief engineer. Construction of the various lines was commenced by the California and Texas Railway Construction Company in October 1872, and the 125 miles between Longview and Dallas was placed in service on July 1, 1873. The seventy-four miles from Marshall to Texarkana opened for regular service on December 28, 1873, and the fifty-six miles between Sherman and Brookston was also built.
Due to the panic of 1873, construction begun at San Diego was cancelled. The T&P resumed construction closer to home with the line from Eagle Ford (Dallas) was extended to Fort Worth on July 19, 1876, and line from Brookston to Texarkana was opened for service on August 11, 1876, giving the company a total of 444 miles of line. Over the next several years the railroad attempted, without success, to finance construction of its line to the Pacific Ocean.
and Jay Gould's Empire
During 1880 the company returned to the construction of its Trans-Continental Division, forging ninety miles west from Sherman to Fort Worth, and put into service on May 9, 1881. By the end of 1881 the Texas and Pacific had 1,034 miles of main track in Texas.
The California-based Southern Pacific Railroad Company built it's line to the Colorado River across from Yuma, Arizona Territory, where it was to meet the Texas and Pacific. However, SP's Collis P. Huntington choose not to wait for the T&P and continued to build eastward, reaching El Paso in May 1881, ahead of the Texas and Pacific.
In its construction the Southern Pacific occupied the line surveyed and designated by the Texas and Pacific as its right-of-way. This resulted in suits being filed against the SP by the T&P for possession of the line between El Paso and Yuma. The dispute was settled on November 26, 1881, and under the agreement's terms the T&P was to build no further than Sierra Blanca, ninety-two miles east of El Paso. The two systems would use the line to El Paso jointly, forming one continuous line to the coast. The T&P relinquished its property rights and franchises west of El Paso to the SP. The agreement also provided for pooling, harmonious operation, and for the cooperation in the building of new lines. Later attempts by T&P to contest the agreement terms were unsuccessful for the most part.
and The Missouri Pacific
The discovery of oil along the Texas and Pacific line in West Texas during the late 1920s and later in East Texas had a major impact on the company. In 1928 crude oil accounted for 22 percent of all freight tonnage.
During the years of peak crude oil movement the physical condition of the railroad was significantly improved, and the Texas and Pacific was able to weather the Great Depression better than many of the other railroads in its region. Other than the abandonment of the Cisco and Northeastern on March 9, 1942, and the sale of the Pecos Valley Southern on November 30, 1946, there was little change in the Texas and Pacific system for 40 years.
Among the most recognizable pre-merger symbols but among the rarest seen - the Texas & Pacific version of the "Buzzsaw" emblem was used for little more than a year. By the mid 1960's the T&P Diamond had given away to a buzzsaw with the corporate name. The emblem was rare on both locomotives and cabooses. In fact it's unknown just exactly how many of these emblems were applied to equipment that otherwise was in the usual Missouri Pacific paint and lettering. T&P sublettering was applied under these buzzsaws as well. (thanks to Jerry Murray for supplying list)
"Texas" Class Locomotive
As was the common custom, the first railroad to receive a new wheel arrangement was given the honor of naming the new class. T&P selected the name "Texas" for the 2-10-4s. By 1929 T&P's roster had expanded to 70 of these "Texas" Class locomotives
The Texas & Pacific 610 is the sole surviving T&P example of a "Texas" class Built in 1927, the engine is owned by the Texas Railroad and currently displayed in Palestine, Texas. During the 1976 bicentennial celebration, #610 was restored to operating condition, in charge of the American Freedom Train on it's route throughout the southwest . See Preserved Locomotives for more on this engine.
in the Library;
The Texas-New Mexico (T-NM)
The Texas - New Mexico was a subsidiary of T&P. Basically the Texas - New Mexico was a long branchline extending from Monahans, Texas (East of Sierra Blanca -- west of Midland-Odessa) up to Lovington, New Mexico, it came off the route into El Paso.
It then became known as the T-NM Sub after the line was fully merged into the MoPac. It was part of the Rio Grande Division and broke off the Toyah Sub (part of the line between Dallas and El Paso) at Monahans, TX (MP609.4). It was 105 miles in length heading north out of Monahans. Monahans is about 249 miles east of El Paso. Union Pacific Railroad has since spun this line off to a shortline operator. ('Tuch' Santucci)
Last Updated: August 5, 2012
All material and photos are for personal
use only! All rights reserved by the Missouri Pacific Historical Society.
These items are copyrighted by the original owners or by the Missouri
Pacific Historical Society and may not be reproduced or redistributed
in any form without express written permission from the owners. Copyrighted © 2001 - 2013 Missouri Pacific Historical
Society, Inc. unless otherwise noted.
All Rights Reserved.
All material and photos are for personal use only! All rights reserved by the Missouri Pacific Historical Society. These items are copyrighted by the original owners or by the Missouri Pacific Historical Society and may not be reproduced or redistributed in any form without express written permission from the owners.
Copyrighted © 2001 - 2013 Missouri Pacific Historical
Society, Inc. unless otherwise noted.