The Muskogee Lines
The Midland-Valley family of Oklahoma lines included the Muskogee Roads and the Midland Valley Railroad Co. These were made up of several subsidiary and predecessor companies. These companies included:
- Midland Valley Railroad
- Kansas, Oklahoma and Gulf Railway
- Oklahoma City – Ada – Atoka Railway Co.
- Osage Railway
- Garland Coal & Mining Co.
- Bird Creek Co Co.
The Kansas, Oklahoma & Gulf Railway was originally chartered on March 28, 1910, as the Missouri, Oklahoma and Gulf Railway. The line extended from Baxter KS through Wagoner OK to Red River, OK (301.5 miles). A Texas subsidiary extended 9 miles from Red River to Denison, where connection was made with the Texas & Pacific. The Missouri, Oklahoma & Gulf defaulted and was sold at foreclosure in July 1919, emerging as the KO&G. The KO&G was itself ruled insolvent and placed in the hands of a receiver in June 1924 and subsequently purchased by the Muskogee Company, owner of the Midland Valley.
The KO&G owed much of its latter existence to its status as a bridge line between the Missouri Pacific at Okay, Oklahoma and the Missouri Pacific-controlled Texas & Pacific at Denison, TX, This traffic was the main source of revenue for the KO&G and was the primary reason that the MP acquired it.
The KO&G was absorbed into MoPac shortly after the T&P's own absorbtion into the system in 1976. Most of the KO&G on-line traffic was coal and quarry products, but they were also a major bridge-line between Kansas and the upper midwest in the MoPac scheme of things, competing with both the MK&T and the Frisco. MP continued to upgrade the line, but after Union Pacific acquired competing MKT, much of the KO&G was abandoned.
Kansas, Oklahoma & Gulf
Trackage Abandonment Dates
KO&G 1962 112.41 mi Okay, OK to Military Junction, KS
MV 1965 3.34 mi Excelsior, AR to Greenwood, AR
Track abandonments 1980 and later have not yet been listed.
Last Updated: June 28, 2014