Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Timothy Nichols
    Participant

Once upon a time, Roundhouse made some HO M.P. 2 bay 2003 cuft capacity covered hopper kits. with 9-57 build dates that show up on Ebay now and then. Any idea if these were remotely based on an actual prototype? I ask because the numbers on these models are only 4 digits, begining with 39 while nearly every roster or photo I’ve been able to find has M.P. covered hoppers with 6 digit numbers beginning with 7. Were some early hoppers numbered as these models are and then re-numbered shortly after? Could/should these be renumbered in 6 digit format and, if so, what sequence of numbers would be correct and where can the decals be had (was hoping to find them in the company store, but it looks like a lot of stuff has yet to be moved over)? Thanks.

Tim Nichols

Perry Scheuerman
    Participant

I believe Ed Hawkins some years back posted a spreadsheet showing the freight equipment renumberings. The group of cars you referred to, MP 3900-3049, were renumbered MP 700600-700649. It appears that there was a sister set, MI 6150-6199, renumbered to MI 700450-700499. Both groups were 29’3″ IL, 2003 cu ft. cars built in 1957.
    I don’t know the renumbering date. Hopefully the spreadsheet will be migrated over from the old MPHS site.

Perry Scheuerman
    Participant

The author of the spreadsheet I referenced was Jerry Howe, updated 3/6/98.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.